A User Profile grants users specific permissions in a given project, such as the permissions to create a test case or to execute a test run.
qTest Manager provides several User Profiles out of the box, but you can modify and add more profiles to suit your needs. An example User Profile is below:
- Project Admin: This User Profile can Manage Project Settings within a given project as well as the ability to invite other users to the project and grant them permissions. You can assign more than one Project Admin to a project.
For Administration profiles, please read the appropriate article for your version:
IMPORTANT: User Profiles are different that User Groups. User Profiles affect permissions at the project-level while User Groups affect permissions at the site-level.
Create and Modify User Profiles
qTest Manager provides several user profiles out of the box. You can continue to use those as-in or modify them to suit your needs. You can also create a new User Profile by following these steps.
- Hover your cursor over your username, and select Administration from the drop-down menu. The "Site Administration" page displays.
- Select the User Profiles tab.
- In the navigation panel, select the Add New User Profile icon.
- The "User Profile" page displays. Enter the User Profile name in the top field.
- Select all the checkboxes in the "Project" field to create releases, edit releases and builds, delete releases, create builds, and delete builds.
- Select Save.
Assign Default User Profile to User
Once you have reviewed the User and Admin Profiles to suit your needs, you can put them to use by assigning users a default User Profile or assigning users an Admin Profile in Licenses - Users.
You can assign a user a default User Profile so that they are automatically assigned certain project permissions when they're added to a project. To do so, follow these steps:
- In Site Administration, select the Licenses - Users tab.
- In the "Users List" table, locate the "User Profile" column. Each "User Profile" field is populated by a drop-down menu.
- In the drop-down menu associated with the user you want to act upon, assign a user profile by selecting the checkbox next to the profile and selecting Update.
- Select Save.
You can also assign a user with an Admin Profile so that they have administrative permissions across projects. Follow these steps:
- In Site Administration, and select the Licenses - Users tab.
- In the "Users List" table, locate the "Admin Profile" column. Each field in this column is populated by a drop-down menu.
- Find the "Admin Profile" drop-down menu associated with the user you want to act upon. In the drop-down menu, select the Admin profile you would like to assign.
Hint: You can use the Administrators profile that is provided by the system to provide the most control.
- Select Save.
Delete User Profile
To remove an Admin or User profile, perform the following steps:
- In Site Administration, select the User Profiles tab.
- In the navigation panel, select the profile you want to remove.
- Select the Delete selected profile icon.
- You cannot remove the “Administrators” Admin profile and the “Project Admin” User Profile, as qTest Manager business rules depend on these two default profiles.
- You cannot remove a profile that is currently assigned to a user. To remove this profile, you must first remove the profile from any users.
Bulk Assign User Profiles
If you would like to both add a user (or more than one user) to multiple projects and assign user profiles for those projects at once, you can do so from the Licenses – Users tab of Site Administration panel.
- Select the Assign Projects icon. The "Assign Projects" dialog displays.
- Input the user(s) you wish to add to projects.
- Using the checkboxes, select the project(s) and then select the User Profile for each project from the User Profile drop-down list next to each project.
- Select Save.
A notification email is sent to each user indicating he or she is invited to the project.
Assign Different User Profiles for Different Projects
As a site administrator, you can grant a user with different permissions for different projects using user profiles. To do so, perform the following steps.
- From the Licenses - Users tab of Site Administration, find the user in the User Table.
- Select the Assign Projects icon in the row containing the user (the third icon in the Action column).
The Assign Projects dialog box is displayed.
- Using the checkboxes, select the project(s) along with the user profile(s). Once the project(s) and user profile for the project(s) are selected, select Save.
A notification email is sent to the user indicating he is invited to the project.