Sharing Dashboards with URL
A qTest Site Administrator can generate a secure URL to share the following dashboard types with read-only access:
- system Shared Dashboards
- user-created dashboards
- saved-with-filters dashboards
When a valid Dashboard Token is available, you are ready to use the 'Shareable URL' or 'Rapid Dashboard' function within the Insights application. Make sure your Dashboard Token is valid (will display with a green circle icon). If not, you will need to generate a new one.
You can share the URL with someone who does not have a qTest license. This version of Sharing Dashboards with a URL functionality is for Insights 1.15.6 or later. If you are using a previous version of Insights, please refer to this article.
Generate a Dashboard Token
- Navigate to Site Administration, and select the System Configurations tab.
- Locate the Insights section of the window.
- Select the Generate button to create a new, secure Dashboard Token.
Note: At any time you can generate a new, secure Dashboard Token that will replace the previously created Dashboard Token. The new token will be used by qTest to generate a shareable URL.
- Green circle icon = Dashboard Token is active
- Gray circle icon = Dashboard Token is expired
- The Expiration Date default is 90 days from token generation. However, you can change it to another expiration date using the drop-down.
- Select Save.
Note: A Dashboard URL generated before the 1.15.6 release, will continue to work until the dashboards expiration date.
Now, you can generate a Shareable URL or Rapid Dashboard URL.
You can find the "Shareable URL" function in the Global filter of any dashboard or from the individual reports on the Manage Dashboards page.
Shareable URL in the Global Filter of any Dashboard
- Select the Dashboards tab, and the list expands.
- Hover over the Dashboards option and the following dashboard types appear on the menu:
- system 'Shared' Dashboard
- your 'Personal' Dashboard
- user's 'Saved with Filters' Dashboards
- Select the filter icon and the Filters menu opens.
Shareable URL on Manage Dashboards Page
- Select the Dashboards tab, and the list expands.
- Hover over the Dashboards option and select Manage Dashboards.
- Locate the dashboard you would like to share the URL.
- Select the list icon to expand the dashboard options.
- The Shareable URL link is visible.
Note: The Shareable URL link is available in both the Available Dashboards and the Saved with Filters section.
Use the Shareable URL
When you select Shareable URL, a popup appears for you to either:
- Send an email to users
- Copy the URL
- Shareable URL is a feature for Insights-Users who have access to Site Administration only. Only an Admin with access to Manager's Administration is able to generate dashboard token. To confirm, try to access Manager's Administration from the right upper corner of Manager, under your name.
- An Insights Editor will not have visibility to this functionality unless they are also assigned to be a Site Administration for Manager.
- Enter the email addresses of the users you would like to access the Dashboard you are sharing.
- Select the Send email button.
- The chosen recipients will receive an email with the following content.
- Select the Copy URL button.
- The URL will be copied to your clipboard.
- You can then paste the URL into any application you choose.
Read the Embed Reports article for instructions on sharing reports with an embedded script.
The Rapid Dashboard is an alternative to the Shareable Dashboard as it loads quicker using a pre-generated dashboard URL. You can generate a Rapid Dashboard URL for a ‘Shared Dashboard’ that has been ‘Saved with Filters.’
The Rapid Dashboard provides read-only data that refreshes every hour. Therefore, it is not real-time. Additionally, you need to have an active Dashboard Token generated before using the Rapid Dashboard feature.
Use Rapid Dashboard
- From the Insights homepage, select the Dashboards tab.
- In the Dashboards drop-down, select Manage and the Manage Dashboards page displays.
- Locate the group of Shared Dashboards within the Saved with Filters section of the screen.
- Select the Rapid Dashboard checkbox that is aligned with the dashboard for which you want to create a Rapid Dashboard URL.
Note: Once you disable a Rapid Dashboard, the Rapid Dashboard URL will no longer be visible for you to copy or share with others. You would be required to generate a new Rapid Dashboard URL.
- Once the checkbox is selected, it may take up to 15 minutes to generate the Rapid Dashboard URL. You will see the following message to confirm the URL generation process has begun.
- To use the Rapid Dashboard URL, select the blue, Action icon to the left of the Dashboard name.
- The Rapid Dashboard URL link will be disabled (grey font) until the URL generation is complete.
Hint: You can refresh the screen to check the status.
Once complete, the Rapid Dashboard URL will be enabled (black font) as seen below.
- Select the enabled Rapid Dashboard URL link to copy or email the URL.