If you have a list of pre-defined Requirements in Excel, qTest allows you to import an Excel Requirements list into qTest.
Importing New Requirements
Import Requirements Wizard pops up for mapping.
Drag available fields and drop to map to corresponding qTest's Requirements fields
Click Import button to finish
- Go to Requirements and MUST select Root page of Requirements Tree
- Select Import Excel icon from toolbar.
- Import Requirements Wizard pops up.
- Download Sample Import Template to refer to standard format for the best Import Requirements
- Drag and drop or select the excel files from a folder to import. The selected file can be in .xls or .xlsx format.
Import Requirements Wizard Pop-up
- Check on "Use imported file's first row as header" to let qTest use the first row of your excel file as header. qTest will get the file's header as available fields for mapping.
Mapping with File's Header
Import Requirements Wizard Pop-up for Mapping
- When you perform an import, a single stream of emails might be sent out upon notification settings. To prevent any confusion, the email notifications are disabled for the action by default but they can be activated if needed by ticking on option Send out notification emails.
Important Business Rules for Import New Requirements:
- You can only map 1 column in excel file to 1 qTest's field.
- DO NOT map Requirement ID for importing new Requirements. System will automatically generate unique IDs for new Requirements.
- qTest's required fields must be mapped to a column in Excel file. If columns mapped to required fields contain no value, system will generate error message indicating an unsuccessful import.
- qTest's non-required fields can be left blank without mapping. If columns mapped to non-required fields contain no value, those fields will be imported into qTest with either blank data or default values you define in your project's Field Settings.
- Each sheet in imported excel file will be imported as 1 qTest's Module named as sheet name.
Importing to Update existing Requirements
You can export Requirements from qTest into Excel file, edit and import back to qTest to update existing Requirements.
The process is similar to import new Requirements from an excel file. However, there are some rules to update Requirements by importing excel files.
- If you map Requirements IDs field and rename the excel sheet by exact "Module ID + Module Name", you will update existing Requirements into existing Modules.
- If you only map Requirements' IDs with Incorrect mapped Module ID/Name in excel sheet name, system will generate an error and fail to import.
- If you DO NOT map Requirements IDs but you rename the excel sheet by Module ID + Name, you will add new Requirements into existing Modules
- To know the Module ID, click Toggle icon on the top toolbar of Requirements, next to Export Requirement Reports icon and check to toggle Modules.
- Make sure you enter the right ID and Name of the Module you want to import for the Excel sheet name. Otherwise system cannot find the right Module you want to import/update.
- Although qTest supports the Module name's length up to 500 characters, Excel sheet name is limited to 31 characters only. Thus, you should not enter a long Module name.