qTest Explorer Release Notes
Version 188.8.131.52 - Integrated Edition (Jan 13, 2014)
Copyright ©2014 QASymphonyLLC. (http://www.qasymphony.com)
qTest Explorer - Integrated Edition is a qTest's add-on that can be downloaded from qtestnet.com and installed on a Windows machine. This add-on is a complete capture application that captures users activities as mouse clicks or data entries and generates intelligent narrations of users’ actions with screenshot that can be submitted to qTest as defects or test cases.
qTest Explorer supports capturing single and multiple applications at the same time, users can save the trace file and append the next session to the previous. The editor of Explorer provides versatile tools to annotate the screenshots.
The outputs can be exported into different formats like Word or PDF and can be submitted to other popular trackers beside qTest.
* qTest Explorer add-on is available for any users of an active qTest trial instance (trial & pro) that has this option enable. By default the add-on will be activated, please contact your system Admin if you can’t login your qTest instance.
For pricing, please visit our website.
2. New Features / Changes in 184.108.40.206
- GUI Improvements:
- Color theme changed.
- Icon size increased to ease user’s interaction.
- Changing field names to accommodate qTest objects’ properties.
- Seamlessly integrated with qTest platform
- Users can download qTest Explorer from qtestnet.com and install on a Windows computer.
- qTest users with valid authorities will be able to activate / using Explorer
- Defect trackers settings from qTest platform will be synchronized into Explorer, user will be able to submit defects to qTest or other supported defect trackers.
- Test case generated by Explorer with recording steps can be uploaded to qTest with attached screenshots. Users will be able to manually edit the test case easily on both qTest and Explorer.
- Test case can be generated from recording steps and exported as Excel format.
3. Known Bugs and Limitations
Below is the list of known limitations with external tracker integration and capability to capture specific frameworks.
- With Rally: When submitting a defect to Rally, if users select the owner (from the list provided to Rally) who doesn’t have proper permission on the selected project, the submission is still valid and successful but the selected owner will not be able to view the defect on Rally.
- With FogBugz:
- Cannot retrieve custom fields from FogBugz.
- Cannot set value for field “Notify More Users” and this field is excluded from defect submission to FogBugz.
- With HP Quality Center (HPQC):
- Cannot submit defect with dependent fields that need to be verified.
- Parent fields are not stayed on top of child fields with dependent fields.
- Only supports custom fields’ dependency between dropdown – dropdown list.
- If dependency settings on qTest Explorer are different to settings in HPQC, the defect can be submitted to HPQC but the values in dependent fields are not exact as HPQC’s settings.
- With Bugzilla: Does not support special characters.
- With VersionOne: Does not support dependent fields.
- With TFS2010:
- Displays “field name” instead of “display name” of the fields.
- Cannot get “TreePath” control type. The textbox for the fields with TreePath control type is displayed instead.
- With JIRA:
- Cannot add custom field if JIRA’s version is earlier than v4.4.x.
- Fields settings are lost after upgraded qTrace (the predecessor of qTest Explorer) from v2.5.0 or earlier versions to v2.5.1.
- Capture engine
- WPF: Date Picker control – Can capture steps but not image of DatePicker control on WinXP.
- WPF: Rich Text box control – Cannot capture content in RichText box.
- MFC: Tab control – Cannot capture tab name.
- WinForm: Picture box control – Captures picture box control as “Click here”.
- SWT: ExpandBar control – Captures expandbar control as “Click here”.
- SWT: Slider control – Captures slider as “Click here”.
- Swing: SplitPane control – Captures the control as “Click here”.
- Swing: Jtable control – Cannot capture content.
- Extended monitor:
- Incorrect image captured when taskbar has two rows, a part of taskbar is included in the images.
- Capture console – Cannot capture context menu & dialog on XP and Vista.
- Captures entire text on notepad or text area
- Displays captured value in Chinese character when recording notepad ++
- Un-recognized UI controls will be captured with generic description such as ‘Click here’ or ‘Type here’.
- Note: In order for qTest Explorer to recognize actions on controls of recorded application properly, user should install the update package from Microsoft (more details at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971513) for Win XP and Vista.
- Cannot define hotkey with the following combinations:
- Only number (e.g.1, 2,..) or only letter (e.g. a, b,…)
- Alt + <key> (e.g. Alt + R)
- Alt + Shift + <key> (e.g. Alt + Shift + C)