qTest Manager allows you to manage standalone releases and releases from JIRA. Importing releases from JIRA allows your testers to use up-to-date information from JIRA sprints & fix versions. Instructions to import and use releases from JIRA are the same, whether you are using JIRA Server or JIRA Cloud.
Before importing releases from Jira, please make sure to complete the setup steps described in the following sections.
Configure Release Integration
- On the Configure Connection page, click the Toggle button in the Release Integration area of the screen to activate the release integration feature
The toggle button is switched ON
- Click the Add Release Type button. Add Release Types window is displayed
- Click the down arrow to the right of the JIRA project field. From the drop-down list, select the applicable JIRA project from which you will import requirements to qTest Manager
- Click the down arrow to the right of the JIRA Artifact types field. Select the artifact type you use to represent releases in the JIRA project selected above (e.g., sprint, fix version). This procedure will retrieve that object type so it is imported into qTest Manager as releases
HINT: The purpose of this step is to identify the artifact type from the JIRA project and import that object type into qTest Manager as releases
- Click the OK button. A line is created in the Release Integration area of the Configure Connection page for the JIRA project and associated JIRA artifact type selected in the steps 3-4, above
- Position the arrow cursor on the new line that indicates the JIRA PROJECT and JIRA ARTIFACT TYPES. Then, move the arrow cursor into the ACTIONS column on the right side of the window. Three icons are displayed under that column. Select the middle icon, the wrench
- On the Edit Data Retrieval screen, you are able to configure two things:
- Status of selected artifact type (sprint or fix version) that you wish to retrieve to your Manager
- Auto-populate requirements in Release Scope
- The purpose of this step is to configure the status of artifact type that will retrieve to qTest Manager as releases. Then, to link imported Jira requirements to imported releases as the latest release scope from Jira. Please note that only JIRA Requirements will be added to corresponding JIRA Releases
- Scope of Fix Versions and Sprints in JIRA is real time updated to Manager (if this function is enabled)
- You are not able to add JIRA requirements to a JIRA release scope or remove JIRA requirements out of a JIRA release scope
- If you manually add a standalone Requirement of Manager to a JIRA Release scope, the link will remain after any data update from JIRA
For Fix Version
- Click the OK button. Then click the Save & Activate button located at the top right of the Configure Connection page
- The CONFIRMATION pop-up window is displayed
Retrieve JIRA Data
After you finish all above steps to configure your Release Integration for JIRA Connection. Then you can retrieve JIRA Artifacts to Manager via 2 ways.
- Position the arrow cursor on the new line that indicates the JIRA PROJECT and JIRA ARTIFACT TYPES. Then, move the arrow cursor into the ACTIONS column on the right side of the window. Three icons are displayed under that column. Select the first icon, the retrieve
- Click Retrieve JIRA Data button
The EXTERNAL RELEASE RETRIEVING PROGRESS pop-up window displays. A progress bar is displayed in the window.
When qTest Manager has imported all configured JIRA artifacts, the following message is displayed.
- Click the OK button. The releases which were created in JIRA will be accessible to testers in qTest Manager. Its properties will separate to 2 sections: one for Manager’s Properties and Read-only section for JIRA’s Properties
Review JIRA RELEASES After Import
- Click the Test Plan module from the header and view the releases imported from JIRA are listed located in the left panel. Each of these objects represents an object in JIRA. Imported Jira's artifacts are represented by with the Atlassian symbol , to differ from internal qTest releases
- Imported JIRA artifacts are updated in real-time, but you may have to reload the release page if you are on the actual page when a change is made on the issue in JIRA. An imported JIRA artifact has two Properties sections - JIRA's Properties and qTest's Properties
JIRA Properties contain:
- For Fix Version: Link, Start Date, End Date & Description
- For Sprint: Start Date, End Date & Sprint Goal
These Properties are Read-only & can be real time updated. In case you only update a sprint goal without updating any other sprint properties, the sprint goal will not be auto synchronized to Manager. You will need to manually click on the Retrieve button (in the JIRA configuration page or in a individual Release page) to get it updated. Currently, JIRA Properties' fields cannot be used for searching in qTest Manager.
HINT: Start Date & End Date on qTest’s Properties are Read-only & their values are from JIRA Properties.
- To view the actual JIRA artifact – Fix Version for a particular release, click the Link hyperlink to be redirected into JIRA. For Sprint, it just shows name of Sprint without hyperlink
For recommendations on incorporating the Release Integration into your qTest + Jira workflow, check out this article: Best Practices on Jira Release Integration.