This article provides instructions and examples for upgrading the Automation Host versions 1.3.8 to 2.x on a Windows. If your Automation Host version is greater than 1.3.8, you can still follow this article to manually upgrade it to a newer version.
IMPORTANT: We highly recommend Elite Users using version 2.0.3 and beyond to upgrade the Automation Host from qTest Launch, following these instructions.
Download qTest Automation Host 2.x
- Go to the Download Automation Host article and download the new qTest Automation Host for Windows.
Note: it is highly recommended that you download the latest version to benefit from bug fixes and enhancement.
- Extract agentctl-[version]-windows-x64-full.zip to C:\qtest-automation-host\agentctl-[version]
Note: replace [version] with the actual version you have downloaded, e.g. 2.0.1
Acquire Your qTest API Token
Follow these steps to acquire your qTest API Token:
- Login to qTest Manager as an Administrator and access the Resources page.
- Expand the APIs and SDK section.
- Copy the API Token, as shown from the below screenshot.
Remove old qTest Automation Host 1.3.8 Service
If you have installed qTest Automation Host version 1.3.8 as a Windows service, follow these steps to remove it. Otherwise, skip to the next section.
- Press a combination of Windows + R keys to open Run dialog, then type services.msc OR Open the Control Panel, select Administrator Tools, and then double click the Services shortcut.
- From the Services window, look for the qTest Automation Agent service, right click on it and select Stop in the context menu.
- Open the Command Prompt as an Administrator.
- Access to the folder where qTest Automation 1.3.8 has been installed, for example:
> cd C:\qtest-automation-host\agentctl-1.3.8
- Execute this command to remove the qTest Automation Host service
If the command was successful, you will see this message: "The service 'qtest-automation-agent' has been successfully removed."
Note: the message may be a little bit different depending on your current version of Automation Host.
- Remove old environment variables by following these steps:
- Select Start, select Control Panel, double click System, and select the Advanced tab.
- Click Environment Variables.
- Look for these environment variables and remove them:
Upgrade to qTest Automation Host 2.x
Follow these steps to upgrade to qTest Automation Host version 2.x:
- Open the Command Prompt and navigate to the extracted folder of qTest Automation Host 2.x by executing this command:
> cd C:\qtest-automation-host\agentctl-[version]
- Execute this command to configure the agent host 2.x:
C:\qtest-automation-host\agentctl-[version]> agentctl.bat config -Phost=[ip_address] -Pport=[agent_port] -Pqtest.url=[qtest_url] -Pqtest.token=[qtest_token]Notes:
- -Phost and -Pport parameters are optional.
- If you do not specify -Phost parameter, localhost will be used.
- If do you not specify -Pport parameter, 6789 will be used.
C:\qtest-automation-host\agentctl-[version]> agentctl.bat config -Pqtest.url=https://demo.qtestnet.com -Pqtest.token=[qtest_token]For more detail about how to configure qTest Automation Host 2.x, refer to this article: Install and Configure the Automation Host
- Run the backup command to copy data and configuration of the Automation Host 1.3.8:
C:\qtest-automation-host\agentctl-1.3.8> agentctl.bat backup -Plocation="\path\to\agentctl-1.3.8\build\qautomation"
- For example:
C:\qtest-automation-host\agentctl-1.3.8> agentctl.bat backup -Plocation="C:\qtest-automation-host\agentctl-1.3.8\build\qautomation"If the command was successful, it will create a backup file at C:\qtest-automation-host\agentctl-1.3.8\backup\agentctl_bk.zip
- For example:
- Next, navigate to the Automation Host 2.x directory. Run the restore command to copy the data and configurations of qTest Automation Host 1.3.8 to the new Automation Host 2.x:
C:\qtest-automation-host\agentctl-[version]> agentctl.bat restore -Pbackup-file="\path\to\backup file"
C:\qtest-automation-host\agentctl-[version]> agentctl.bat restore -Pbackup-file="C:\qtest-automation-host\agentctl-1.3.8\backup\agentctl_bk.zip"
Start the Automation Host 2.x
Execute the following command to start the Automation Host on your machine:
C:\qtest-automation-host\agentctl-[version]> agentctl.bat start
Install the qTest Automation Host 2.x as a Windows Service
Follow this guideline to install qTest Automation Host 2.x as a Windows Service: Install Automation Host as a Service