If your qTest project is not integrated with an external tool like JIRA, Rally, or VersionOne, you can define transition rules for your qTest defects using the Defect Workflow feature. For more details on qTest defects, refer to Using the Defects Module.
Project admins can limit their users’ permission to update Defect Status by defining Transition Rules of the Defect Workflow.
Note: The Defect Workflow defines Defect Status transitions and which User Profile can perform these transitions.
If you are cloning a project, you can also clone the pre-established Defect Workflow Settings. For more details on this feature, refer to the Manage Projects article.
Define Defect Workflow Settings
To use this feature, follow these instructions:
- While in a project, select the Gear icon.
- In the drop-down menu, select Defect Workflow Settings.
- From there, you can define the Transition Rules and enable the workflow. You must turn on the Activation Status, by selecting the toggle.
- To add or remove Transition Rules, click on the Add or Remove icons in the Action column.
- To temporarily disable a Transition Rule, deselect its Active checkbox.
- To define a Transition Rule, you will need to select appropriate From status values, To status values and User Profiles. You can mark Any to capture any Status or User Profile values regardless of whether they have been created.
- Once the Workflow is enabled, you can preview the Workflow when updating Defect Status on the Defect detail page. It will only list out the Transition Rules which associated with your login user profile.
NOTE: Updating Defects using Batch Update or Import Defects functions will also need to follow the Transition Rules.