Test Case Settings
Test case settings are where you can set up how to share your test cases with other projects, and allow teams to parameterize their test steps.
Test Case Sharing
qTest features the ability to create Test Runs in one project from others' shared Test Cases. For more information, refer to Re-using Test Cases.
Parameters are enabled for every project by default. If you disable these options, you will need to manually correct your parameters in the Parameters Module.
To access to Parameterization Settings:
- Click on the Gear icon on the top left corner.
- Select Test Settings.
- Under Parameterization Settings, you can change the feature's activation status and select the following options to Allow parameters from this project to be used in any destination project:
- For test cases copied from this project
- For test cases shared from this project
- The activation status is ON and the 2 options are selected by default. If you plan not to use parameters in your project, it is recommended to switch it off to prevent users from adding parameters.
In the cases described below, you need your parameters to be automatically assigned to qTest Manager projects so your test runs are executable:
- Copy test cases or test steps from project P1 to project P2. If parameters in the source test case are not assigned to P2, you may not be able to create test runs from the destination test case in P2.
- Create Test Runs in project P2 from a shared test case in project P1. If parameters in the test cases are not assigned to P2, the test runs may be unexecutable in P2.
ID Prefix Settings
An object ID is a combination of a customizable ID Prefix and an auto-generated ID number in a chronological order of objects creation. Although qTest Manager sets default objects' ID Prefixes, you can customize them to fit their demand. The ID Prefix Settings can be different from projects. To customize ID Prefixes, you need the Manage Project Settings permission.
- Go to Project Settings and select ID Prefix Settings
- A table displays default ID Prefixes for objects in qTest.
- In the Settings table, replace the default Prefix by your own Prefix for a specific object.
- Click the Save button to submit your settings.