Add Users to qTest Manager
To add a new user to qTest Manager you will need to invite them to the site via an activation link. The activation link is sent in an email generated from within qTest Manager.
You must be a Site Administrator to use this functionality. If you are using a free trial, you can invite up to four more users by default. If you need access to invite more than four other users, please contact email@example.com.
Invite a User to qTest Manager
- Position the arrow cursor over your username located in the top right corner of the Home page. A drop-down menu is displayed. Select the Administration option.
- The Site Administration - Projects page is displayed. Click the Licenses - Users tab.
- The number of available licenses is displayed in the Available Licenses field on the right side of the Licenses page. In the example shown above, one other user has been invited to use this qTest Manager account and three other users can be invited to this account.
- Click the Invite button located near the bottom right of the Licenses page. The Invite User pop-up window is displayed. In the Login Email field, enter the email address of a user you want to invite to use qTest with you. Then, click the OK button.
- The Activation Link pop-up window is displayed.
- A notification email is sent to the user. By clicking the activation link provided in the email, the user can activate his or her account and login to your qTest Manager account. You can also manually send the activation link to the user in case the activation emails end up in the user's Spam folder.
The email address of the user you invited is displayed in the User’s List area of the Licenses screen.
HINT: Each user you invite is automatically added to the qConnect Sample Project. The Sample Project comes with sample data, including requirements organized into folders, a test plan, test cases, and more.
Admin and User Profiles
- You can assign a user a default User Profile, so they are automatically assigned certain project permissions when they're added to a project.
- You can also assign a user with an Admin Profile, so they have administrative permissions across projects.
- For more details, see the article User Profiles.
To deactivate a user, perform the following steps.
- Click the Licenses Users tab.
- Hover your cursor in the ‘Action’ field for the user you want to deactivate. Click the ‘Deactivate User’ icon (i.e., the red icon). The user’s status will change to ‘Inactive’ and he/she will be removed from any previously-assigned projects and no longer be able to log into qTest Manager.
To reactivate an inactive user, perform the following steps.
- Click the Licenses Users tab. The Licenses page is displayed.
- Hover your cursor in the ‘Action’ field for the user you want to reactivate. Click the ‘Reactivate User’ icon. The user’s status will change to ‘Active’ and a notification email will be sent to the user. He/she will be invited back to any previously-assigned projects.
Resend Activation Link to User
When a new user is invited to qTest Manager, the user is sent an email that contains a link the user can click on and enter credentials to activate his or her qTest Manager account. If a new user was invited to qTest Manager but can’t find the activation email, and has therefore not activated the account, the activation link can be resent to the user. This function can only be performed by the site administrator.
To resend the activation link to a new user, perform the following steps.
- Click the Licenses Users tab.
- In the Users List area of the page, hover your cursor in the ‘Action’ field for the user you want to resend the invitation email. Then, click the ‘Resend Invitation Email’’ icon.
The following pop-up is displayed.
- Click the Yes button. The Get Activation Link screen is displayed. Click the OK button.
HINT: If the user still does not receive the activation email, the Site Administrator can copy the activation link from the Get Activation Link screen.
Resetting a User’s Password
If a qTest Manager user has activated his account but has forgotten his password, you can reset the user’s password by performing the following steps.
- Select the Licenses - Users tab.
- In the Users List area of the page, hover the arrow cursor in the ‘Action’ field for the user whose password you want to reset. Then, click the Reset Password icon.
The Reset Password Link screen is displayed.
- Click the OK button. A notification email is sent to the user that provides instructions to reset their account password.
IMPORTANT: If the user does not receive the notification email, you can send the URL directly to the user. This URL is unique for the user.
Managing Active Sessions
As the Site Administrator, you can view and manually terminate active sessions. You can also configure the system to automatically terminate sessions which have been idle for a specified amount of time.
- In the Administration section, select the Licenses - Users tab on the top navigation bar, and then select Login Clients from the left menu.
- You can see the number of current Active Sessions in the Session Information block.
- On the Session Settings block, you can optionally check Auto terminate sessions after users have idled for ... minutes and specify a number to enable this option. Click the Save button to save the settings.
- A session is idle when it does not have any request from the client to the qTest server.
- All current active sessions, excluding eXplorer sessions, are listed in the Active Sessions grid.
- In the Login Email field, enter a login email in the text box to filter the grid.
- Click the table's headers to sort the data.
Click on the X icon to terminate the corresponding session. The system will inform the user his session has been terminated by the admin.
- If you open qTest Manager in multiple tabs of the same web browser, they are counted as the same session.
- If you login to qTest Manager using the same account on different web browsers, they are counted as different sessions.
- If you login to qTest Manager using the same account on different computers, they are counted as different sessions.
- API sessions do not count towards the user's maximum 3 session limit.