There are two types of User Profiles - user profiles and admin profiles.
- A User Profile grants users specific permissions in a given project, such as the permissions to create a test case or to execute a test run.
- An Admin Profile grants users specific permissions across projects, such as the permission to create projects or to manage system configurations.
qTest Manager already provides several profiles out of the box, but you can modify and add more profiles to suit your needs. Here are some profiles that are particularly useful.
- Project Admin: This User Profile can Manage Project Settings within a given project as well as the ability to invite other users to the project and grant them permissions. You can assign more than one Project Admin to a project.
- Administrators: This Admin Profile (also referred to as Site Administrator) has all administrative permissions by default. The individual who signed up for the account will automatically have this profile, but you can also grant other users with this profile as well. You cannot customize the permissions for this profile, as qTest Manager business rules depend on this profile. If you would like to customize an Admin Profile, you can create a new Admin Profile (see instructions below).
- We recommend limiting the number of Site Administrators to minimize making changes across your account. Similarly, we recommend limiting the number of Project Admins per project.
- Although Site Administrators can create projects and manage users, they are not automatically added to every project. If you are a Site Administrator and want to work on a project, make sure you are added to that project.
Create and Modify User Profiles
qTest Manager provides several user profiles out of the box. You can continue to use those as-in or modify them to suit your needs. You can also create a new User Profile by following these steps.
Create User Profile
- Hover your cursor over your username, and select Administration from the drop-down menu. The "Site Administration" page displays.
- Select the User Profiles tab.
- In the navigation panel, select the Add New User Profile icon.
- The "User Profile" page displays. Enter the User Profile name in the top field.
- Select all the checkboxes in the "Project" field to create releases, edit releases and builds, delete releases, create builds, and delete builds.
- Select Save.
Create Admin Profile
To create an Admin Profile, follow these steps:
- In the navigation panel, select the Add New Admin Profile icon. The "Admin Profile" page displays.
- Enter the Admin Profile name in the top field. Then, select the check boxes to Edit User Profiles and View User Profiles.
- Select Save.
Assign Default User Profile to User
Once you have reviewed the User and Admin Profiles to suit your needs, you can put them to use by assigning users a default User Profile or assigning users an Admin Profile in Licenses - Users.
You can assign a user a default User Profile so that they are automatically assigned certain project permissions when they're added to a project. To do so, follow these steps:
- In Site Administration, select the Licenses - Users tab.
- In the "Users List" table, locate the "User Profile" column. Each "User Profile" field is populated by a drop-down menu.
- In the drop-down menu associated with the user you want to act upon, assign a user profile by selecting the checkbox next to the profile and selecting Update.
- Select Save.
You can also assign a user with an Admin Profile so that they have administrative permissions across projects. Follow these steps:
- In Site Administration, and select the Licenses - Users tab.
- In the "Users List" table, locate the "Admin Profile" column. Each field in this column is populated by a drop-down menu.
- Find the "Admin Profile" drop-down menu associated with the user you want to act upon. In the drop-down menu, select the Admin profile you would like to assign.
Hint: You can use the Administrators profile that is provided by the system to provide the most control.
- Select Save.
Delete User Profile
To remove an Admin or User profile, perform the following steps:
- In Site Administration, select the User Profiles tab.
- In the navigation panel, select the profile you want to remove.
- Select the Delete selected profile icon.
- You cannot remove the “Administrators” Admin profile and the “Project Admin” User Profile, as qTest Manager business rules depend on these two default profiles.
- You cannot remove a profile that is currently assigned to a user. To remove this profile, you must first remove the profile from any users.
Bulk Assign User Profiles
If you would like to both add a user (or more than one user) to multiple projects and assign user profiles for those projects at once, you can do so from the Licenses – Users tab of Site Administration panel.
- Select the Assign Projects icon. The "Assign Projects" dialog displays.
- Input the user(s) you wish to add to projects.
- Using the checkboxes, select the project(s) and then select the User Profile for each project from the User Profile drop-down list next to each project.
- Select Save.
A notification email is sent to each user indicating he or she is invited to the project.
Assign Different User Profiles for Different Projects
As a site administrator, you can grant a user with different permissions for different projects using user profiles. To do so, perform the following steps.
- From the Licenses - Users tab of Site Administration, find the user in the User Table.
- Select the Assign Projects icon in the row containing the user (the third icon in the Action column).
The Assign Projects dialog box is displayed.
- Using the checkboxes, select the project(s) along with the user profile(s). Once the project(s) and user profile for the project(s) are selected, select Save.
A notification email is sent to the user indicating he is invited to the project.