Each project within qTest Manager has its own Test Plan in which you can define the high-level milestones and testing objectives. Inside the Test Plan, you can both define the start and end dates for each release and build and specify any testing goals that may be involved. Once you create releases and builds, you can add specific requirements to the release and/or build scope.
Note: If your team uses an external ALM such as JIRA, Rally, or VersionOne, the release plan was likely established already in that external ALM. If that is the case, feel free to use the Test Plan as a lightweight feature to create the releases as “containers” to build actual plans in Test Execution.
Create a Release
Creating releases in the Test Plan allows you to show high-level milestones and incorporate release notes. Releases created in the Test Plan module will also automatically display in the Test Execution area; this allows you to build a granular hierarchy to organize test execution activities.
Follow these steps to create a release:
- Select the Test Plan module, then click the New Release icon in the left panel.
- Enter a Release Name in the text field currently occupied by the word "Untitled."
- In the Status field, a status of ‘Planned’ is automatically displayed.
HINT: To create custom fields or modify any existing system fields, see the article Field Settings.
- Enter the Start Date and the End Date for the release.
- In the Description text field, enter a description of the release.
- Select Save. The new release displays in the navigation panel.
In the Release Note text field, you can also enter information about what the release includes (e.g., new features for development).
Add Attachments to Your Release (Optional)
- In the Test Plan, select your release in the navigation panel.
- Expand the "Resources" drop-down menu near the bottom of the page.
- In the "Attachments" section, you can add attachments (e.g., a Word document or Powerpoint presentation) either by dragging and dropping a file or by selecting click here to pick from a folder and then select a file from your computer.
Add Requirements to Your Release
A requirement can be a part of one release or build scope only.
Note: If a requirement is part of one release scope and gets added to a different release’s scope, it will be moved to that release instead of being part of both releases.
To add Requirements, do the following:
- From the Test Plan tab, select the Release in which you want to add requirements.
- In the bottom of the Test Plan, expand the Resources menu.
- Select Add under the "Release Scope" section.
- The "Requirements" list displays. Select the proper requirement from the proper module.
- Once you have added your desired Requirements, select Save.
Create a Build
A build is another milestone within the Test Plan, nested within a release. A release can consist of multiple builds.
To create a build, perform the following steps:
- Open the Test Plan page.
- Select the release in which to create your new build(s).
- Select the New Build icon on the toolbar.
- Name your new Build in the text field currently occupied by "Untitled."
- Add any Build Notes necessary in the text field in the "Build Note" section.
- You can add any requirements in the "Build Scope" section in the Resources drop-down menu. Expand the menu, and select Add.
See the following articles.