qTest Manager Parameters allows you to both view and create Datasets for given projects. This feature allows users to quickly view, create, and edit, data for large projects.
Select the Datasets tab to view all Datasets. Each dataset presents as a row in dataset table containing the following:
- Parameters used in the dataset
- Creation and update dates
By default, last created datasets show at the top of the table.
Filtering and Sorting Datasets
To filter Datasets, enter dataset name and status in the "Search" and/or "Status" field(s).
To sort Datasets, select the column containing the information by which you want to sort in the dataset table.
Create a new Dataset
To create a new Dataset, follow these steps:
- Select the + CREATE icon from the Datasets page.
- The Create dataset dialog displays. Input basic Dataset information:
- Dataset Name (required): enter the name of the new dataset
- Status: Active or Inactive
- Description: description of the dataset
- Select your Parameters for the Dataset by searching in the "Select Parameter" field.
Note: You can only see Parameters currently belonging to qTest Manager Projects.
- To add a new column, select the + icon. To delete a column, select the X icon.
NOTE: A Dataset can have a maximum of 25 columns.
- To add Dataset Values, search for your desired value in the "Select Value" field. Select your desired Value.
HINT: when selecting data for each row, press Tab to move to the next cell, press the Up or Down Arrow to select a value from the drop-down menu.
- To create more row(s), enter the number of the rows you want to create in the "Add" field near the bottom of the dialog. Select the Add icon.
- A Dataset can contain a maximum of 1 million rows
- Your maximum amount of rows is restricted by the size of the page.
To remove an unwanted row, select the X icon in the last column of the row.
Hint: You can remove multiple rows at a time by selecting the checkbox in the first column of each row and then selecting the DELETE ROWS icon.
Clear Dataset data
- Clear values: All values/data of the Dataset will be cleared out, but its structure (selected columns) will be unchanged.
- Reset Table: The dataset's structure and data are removed. The Dataset reverts to its initial state from which you can rebuild it from scratch.
Automatically Generate Data
There are two ways to automatically generate data in qTest Manager:
- Select GENERATE. The "Generate Data" dialog displays.
- In the "Select Method" section, choose either:
- Unique Values: Parameter values will not repeat, and no two rows will have the same parameter value.
- Unique Combinations: Each row in the data grid will contain a unique combination. Parameter values can repeat; however, no two rows will have the same combination of data.NOTE: The number in the blue circle beside each method is the maximum possible rows that can be generated using that method. For example, in the screenshot shown below, the maximum amount of combinations is 1488.
Associate Dataset to qTest Manager Projects
By default, the Dataset will associate with all of your qTest Manager projects.
You can modify associated projects by following these steps:
- In the dialog, select the Projects tab. The Projects currently associated with the Dataset display.
- Select the +PROJECT icon, and select the checkbox(es) next to the Projects which you no longer want associating with your Dataset. Select OK.
When you finish entering information for the new Dataset, select SAVE.
Create a New Dataset from Selected Parameters
You can also create a new Dataset from Selected Parameters within the "Parameters" section. To do so, follow these steps:
- Select the Parameters tab.
- Select parameters that you want to include in the new Dataset by selecting the checkbox(es) associated with each parameter.
- Select the ACTIONS icon. In the drop-down menu, select Create Dataset. In the "Confirmation" dialog, select OK.
- The "Create Dataset" dialog displays. Input your Dataset information just as you did within the "Dataset" section.
Edit and Delete Dataset(s)
To edit an existing dataset, follow these steps:
- In Parameters, select the Datasets tab.
- Select the Name of the Dataset that you wish to Edit. The Dataset dialog displays.
- Edit the existing information as you wish.
- When finished, select Save.
Delete/Deactivate a Dataset
From the Dataset table, select the action icon in the last column of an active Dataset, and select the Delete or Deactivate menu item.
Bulk Dataset actions
From Dataset table, you can select multiple datasets and apply actions to the selected datasets from the ACTIONS drop-down menu. Select the checkboxes next to the multiple Datasets upon which you want to act. Choose from these options in the drop-down menu:
- Delete: delete selected datasets
- Activate: activate selected datasets
- Note: only Inactive datasets are affected by this action
- Deactivate: deactivate the selected dataset.
- Note: only Active datasets are affected by this action