Accessing qTest Parameters
qTest Manager features a Parameters to manage testing data for test case steps. You can now include parameters in Test Cases and define parameter values to create Test Runs.
To access to the new module, select Parameters from the 9-box icon in the top-right corner of the qTest header.
The default Parameters page is displayed. This page provides a list of parameters which belong to all qTest Manager projects you can access. Each row of the grid is a parameter with a status (green for active and yellow for inactive), an identifier, a description, and its last modified date and time.
Each row of the grid is a parameter with a status (green for active and yellow for inactive), an identifier, a description, and its last modified date and time.
Filtering and Sorting
Filter by Parameter Status (Active / Inactive) , Used, Unused
- When you click the number, the grid will be filtered accordingly. The line under the number lets you know the associated status for the parameter.
- When you deselect the number, the grid displays all parameters as the default.
NOTE: When a parameter is defined in a qTest Manager Test Case, it is counted as "used". When a parameter is defined in a Dataset, it is also counted as "used". When a parameter is removed from a Test Case or Dataset, the "Used" number reduces by 1 and the "Unused" number increases by 1.
Filter by Project
- Click Projects and select some to display a list of parameters assigned to them.
- "Assigned to All Projects" is the default option.
- The number of "x Projects" is the number of your selected projects.
When the grid is filtered by either status or project, the Clear Filter button is displayed. Click on it to clear all filters and go back to the default grid view (view all).
Sort by Most recent/ A-Z/ Z-A
Click Sort and select an option to sort the grid.
- Most recent update: The most recent updated parameters move to the top of the grid.
- A-Z: Sorts the grid alphabetically in ascending order.
- Z-A: Sorts the grid alphabetically in descending order.
Create a Parameter
From the Parameters Grid page, click the Create button. The Create Parameter window displays for you to create a new parameter.
- An identifier is required. Special characters are not allowed, except underscore(_), minus, space( ), and period(.) Duplicate identifiers are not allowed. A validation error message is displayed if there is a mistake.
- Status: Active by default. Click on the circle to turn on / off.
- Projects: By default, the parameter is assigned to all qTest Manager projects to which you have access. (You can use the parameter in those projects.) You can remove some unwanted assigned projects from the list.
- Click "Clear All Projects" to remove all projects from the drop-down box. However, Project is a required field; you must specify at least one project into which the parameters will be imported.
- Values: You can add one or multiple values. Press Enter for a new value.
After you fill in the information for your parameter, click Create (or Shift-Enter). The grid is displayed with the newly created parameter displayed on top.
Selecting the Create another checkbox will allow you to create another parameter.
Click Cancel or the X icon from the top right corner to close the pop-up window.
Edit a Parameter
Click the parameter's identifier from the grid to open its profile page.
Update Parameter's Detail
You can update parameter information, such as Identifier, Status, and Description. The @ symbol indicates how to define the parameter in qTest Manager.
Parameter Value Grid
This section is used to create / update / delete values for your parameter. The changes for a parameter's values are automatically saved.
Parameter Value Grid
- Create a new value: Click the + icon. A text box will display for you to enter a new value.
- Create multiple values: In the text box, press Enter to add multiple values. Press Shift-Enter to commit values. The text box allows up to 65000 characters.
- Remove multiple values: Select multiple values, the recycle bin icon appears for you to remove multiple values.
- Remove one value: Click the X icon at the end of each line to remove the value.
- Search: Content-search value.
- Sort A-Z/ Z-A: Sort the grid alphabetically in ascending/descending order.
- Pagination: Move forward / backward between pages.
- <empty> value: When you leave a blank line in the text box, TDM treats it as an <empty> value. This is for cases when you want to input empty as a value.
- Edit inline: Click on a row to inline edit its value.
Update Parameter's Projects
You can update a parameter's Projects. By default, a parameter is assigned to all projects the logged-in user can access.
A parameter should belong to at least one project, so you will not be allowed to remove all projects from the drop down.
Test Case Tab and Dataset Tab
From the Parameter Profile page, you can find a List of qTest Test Cases which are using it and the List of Datasets which include it.
View Test Cases Tab
From the Test Case Tab, you can click on either the Test case ID or the Test Case Name link to open the test case in qTest Manager.
View Dataset Tab
From the Datasets tab, you can click the Dataset Name to open the Dataset Profile page in a new browser tab.
Save/ Archive / Back
Click the Archive button to archive a parameter.
- If your parameter is being used in qTest Manager, you will receive a warning message. If you still want to continue, the system will archive it.
- If your parameter is being used in a Dataset within the system, you will not be allowed to archive it.
Click the Save button to save all changes and return to the Parameter Grid.
Click Back to go back to the Parameter Grid. A reminder will be displayed when you go back without saving changes.
The Profile page also provides you with additional information about the parameter like its Created Date and time, Last Updated Date and time, a list of qTest Test Cases which are using it, and the list of Datasets which include it.
Click a parameter from the Parameters Grid to open its Profile page. Click the Archive button to archive it.
- When a parameter is archived, its status turns grey and its profile becomes read-only.
- You cannot create a new parameter using the identifier of an archived parameter.
- There is a daily job to permanently remove 30-day archived parameters from qTest Manager.
NOTE: A parameter cannot be archived if it has been included in a Dataset. However, you can still archive a parameter if it is being used by a Test Case.