Download qTest Insights installers
qTest Insights Windows installer can be downloaded using the link below:
Steps to install qTest Insights
1. Double click on qTest Insights installer to start the installation and then click Next button to go to the End User License Agreement page
2. Select "I accept the terms in the License Agreement", and click Next to continue
3. Select the folder to install qTest Insights, and click Next to continue
4. Click Install to begin the installation
5. The installation is in progress
6. Click Finish to exit the Setup Wizard
After completing the installation, go to the installation directory. By default, that folder will be "C:\qTest Insights 2". All the instruction in this guide will assume that the default value is used.
- To start qTest Insights, start the Insights Service Controller. The same goes for qTest Insights Scheduler but the file name will be Insights Scheduler Service Controller.
- When prompted by the UAC, click Yes
- In the General tab, click Start button under Service Status to start the service
- The service log path is displayed in the tab Logging
Update Insights URL in qTest
From Administration page, click Tab System Configuration, enter the Insights URL with appropriate port (refer to the Configuration section).
The Windows service, JVM and Tomcat configuration can be changed using the Service Controller located at the installation directory "C:\qTest Insights 2"
By default, qTest Insights and qTest Insights Scheduler will need to use these following TCP ports for their operation
- insights.port.admin: 9005
- insights.port.ajp: 9009
- insights.port.http: 9080
- insights.port.https: 9443
- scheduler.port: 56982
To change them to a different value, modify the properties inside "C:\qTest Insights 2\insights.properties", run "C:\qTest Insights 2\configure.bat" as administrator and restart both qTestInsights and qTestInsightsScheduler services using their Service Controller
The log file of configure.bat is located at "C:\qTest Insights 2\configure.log"
By default, qTest Insights and qTest Insights Scheduler will use none-encrypted connection, to enable SSL connection for them, follow these below steps
- Prepare a valid SSL certificate and its accompany private key file (if it hasn't been included into the certificate)
- Copy them into the file system of the local machine
- Modify "C:\qTest Insights 2\insights.properties" and put the full directory path of the certificate and its private key into the value of insights.ssl.cert and insights.ssl.key property.
Make sure that the path separator is "/"
- Save the properties file, run "C:\qTest Insights 2\configure.bat" as administrator and restart both qTestInsights and qTestInsightsScheduler services using their Service Controller
If you were using a non-SSL connection before, make sure we go into qTest's System Configuration page and correct the link to Insights to use HTTPS scheme
A TCP port is being occupied by another process
For the configure.bat, inside the log file named C:\qTest Insights 2\configure.log, there is a line
- C:\qTest Insights 2\local\bin\build.xml:xx: Port <PORT_VALUE> is not available
For qTest Insights, inside the log file named C:\qTest Insights 2\local\insights\logs\qtestinsights-stderr.yyyy-mm-dd.log (where yyyy-mm-dd is the current date on the system). There is a line
- 18-Nov-2016 08:25:25.515 SEVERE [main] org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol.init Failed to initialize end point associated with ProtocolHandler ["http-apr-<PORT_VALUE>"]
java.lang.Exception: Socket bind failed:  Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted.
For qTest Insights Scheduler, inside the log file named "C:\qTest Insights 2\local\insights-scheduler\Log\LogiScheduler.log". There is a line
- FATAL - 11/18/2016 8:33:24 AM The port is in use. Another instance of the scheduler may already be running on port <PORT_VALUE>.
<PORT_VALUE> is the value of the port being occupied by other process. Follow the instruction in the Configuration to change it to another value.
Insights cannot connect to qTest's database
Get an error page when accessing Insights from qTest
Inside Insights' log folder at "C:\qTest Insights 2\local\insights\logs\insights" there is an .htm file named "Error xxx.htm" (where xxx is the random generated GUID) with the error message
- Connection refused. Check that the hostname and port are correct and that the postmaster is accepting TCP/IP connections.
Double check qTest's database configuration to make sure
- Database Hostname is accessible from Insights server
(e.g. database hostname in qTest configuration cannot be "localhost" unless you're installing Insights on the same server with qTest)
- Database port is 5432, at version 1.2.0, Insights hasn't supported a custom port for database connection